Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Precious


At church I teach the 6 year olds who will be turning 7 this year.

They know that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them. They know that their families love them and they know that I love them. At this age I think that is about all they need. If they know that there are people who love them, I think they will do well.

However, we are starting to talk about some real deep ideas (for a 6 year old!) about heaven, repentance, forgiveness, faith, and a lot more. We talk about sins and how to make wrong things right.

I love the look of concentration that one of my sweet little boys gets on his face when he is trying to figure something out. He has asked me a lot about how we will know if we get to go to heaven. Whenever he asks this I just look at him, this sweet innocent boy who has never sinned in his life and my heart just aches for this kind of child-like faith and innocence.

I usually tell him something along the lines of, "Max, do you always try to be a good boy? Do you know that Jesus loves you?".... "yes"... "then keep doing that and you will be able to go to heaven one day."

So on Sunday I gave the boys some free time to draw. Most little boys draw this kind of stuff:

But then I take a look at sweet little Max and I realize this kid has it together.
I have a lot to learn from him.
It is pretty awesome to look at these kids and realize all that they are learning. They pick up on things so fast and they really really want to be loved. I am so thankful that I have always had people in my life who have shown me love, and hopefully I can pay it forward.

4 comments:

Erin and Zach said...

that is precious :)

The Foys said...

Oh my goodness... that is so sweet.

The Bellyakers... said...

While I know I am biased here... but that is one of the sweetest posts I've ever read. Thank you for taking the time to write it down. I will copy and put in his book.

You are a wonderful teacher for him. He comes home from Primary each week with a truck load of questions...

Thanks for the time and energy given.

We are truly blessed you are his Primary teacher...

Cathy said...

It takes a village. You were a child with lots of questions like Max-- you were blessed to understand how to find the answers!! Sounds like Max is blessed also!