Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ward Campout

Last night was the Foothills ward Campout. It was much better than I thought it would be. It started out with Ryann and I riding in a car with 7 other people, all of our sleeping bags, tents, air mattresses, food, and other gear. Oh the memories of the Wagner Family backpack trips! I loved it!


After the 2 hour drive to the campsite past Payson, Az, Nugs made a run for it. She ran as fast as her little legs would take her so that she could see each and every new thing. Thankfully I had these two Baker kids to keep an eye on her while I set up the tent.

I don't think she sustained any permanent damage, but Ryann definately "ate it" or "biffed it" a dozen or so times. She would take a look at her hands, wipe off the dirt and then stand back up.... very independent.... and you would have to let her do it herself or else she would throw a fit.

Other Baker family members then were so gracious and helped make meals for Nugs and I.

I love tin foil dinners and dutch oven cakes/cobblers!


Once the fire really got going I had to put Ryann in the sling. There she sat and watch comfortably for the next couple hours and finally she passed out in my arms.


Despite my worst fears of having Ryann stay awake all night long, she did eventually fall asleep. She was rudely awoken each time she fell off the air mattress (2-3 times... don't really remember), when her mom tried to make sure she was warm, and of course whenever she felt like getting up and turning on her little night light I brought for her. Most of these times she cried a bit and she really only woke up the neighboring parents in tents... the kids can pretty much sleep through anything.

The hardest part of the night was when she decided that it was time to play. She got up, realized the air mattress was something she could bounce on, rang her little bell necklace, turned on her nightlight, unzipped zippers, found some crackers, found her sippy cup, found mom's nose (which she of course poked relentlessly)lost her silky, played "rollie pollie", and then finally laid down after an hour of play.... I am sure it was an hour.... At least 45 minutes.... minimum of 30 minutes... yes, 30minutes to an hour.... I think.

this post is getting long. I will save the rest for later. :)

2 comments:

Erin and Zach said...

Ahhh sounds just like her time staying with Auntie Erin in Chicago! She's awesome...

April Kennedy said...

we tent camped with Blake when he was one! Dave ended up putting him in the car at 4:30 am and took him for a drive for a few hours so our neighbors could get some sleep. Aren't little ones the greatest!