Saturday, November 7, 2009

Urgent Care

This morning we spent some time in the Urgent Care. Yesterday afternoon Ryann was playing and somehow she hurt herself. She was really holding her right arm close and she kept telling us her wrist hurt her. It wasn't swollen at all, but I know that not all breaks (for kids) get swollen.

So after debate last night Rich and I decided to keep her home and see if it got better. Well, come the middle of the night every time she rolled over or bent it she woke up crying. Finally up for the day at 4am and that was enough for me. As soon as 7am rolled around this is where we were headed:
This is Ryann at the urgent care when I told her we were at the doctors to make her all better. She was really excited about this. This was all before the doctor came in.
The doctor took X-rays and thankfully no break- however, she diagnosed Ryann with "nursemaids elbow" which basically means the ligament in her elbow popped out of place. Any movement will hurt- especially the movements that have to be done to pop it back in place. This picture above is after the doctor tried the first 3 times to get it back in place.
Finally Ryann got a sticker because after 5 different times of manipulating her arm (and Ryann screaming the entire time) it popped back into place. She actually got 5 stickers and was pleased as punch when they gave her apple juice afterwards.
.
I was happy when she reached for the apple juice with her right hand
.
So this means no more swinging by her arms or any other movements that will jerk her arm in anyway- once you have nursemaids elbow it is very likely to happen again.

6 comments:

Beach_Crew said...

Oh NO!! So glad to hear she doesn't have a broken arm. Can you imagine trying to keep a cast clean and dry at that age?? I know people do it, but ugh, what a nightmare.
Go get some sleep....a two year old at urgent care at 4am? Not fun.

Cathy said...

oh I am so glad that this story had a happy ending!! I love you twos!!!

ashley said...

she is sooooo cute!!!

*natalie said...

How sad! I am glad she is feeling better. After the night you had, I can't believe you were not napping when I saw you yesterday!

Erin and Zach said...

aaawww honey! So glad she is feeling better and that it wasn't a break. I will be careful with her over thanksgiving!! The first picture is absolutely adorable. I want it as an 8x10 please. Her big girl smile is to die for...

Ms. Green Eyes said...

Poor baby girl! Glad she is okay now.