Monday, June 21, 2010

Belated Father's Day

Whenever Father's Day comes around I know Rich feels a little left out. Yes, he is a father, and Yes, he has a great Father-in-law, but I know he misses his father.

I never met Rich's dad but I am pretty sure I have a good idea about what he was like. He would have teased me relentlessly about my choice in an old, bald husband. :)

He would loved his granddaughters to the point of randomly showing up at the house to take them to McDonalds for ice cream cones (and not make them collect cans in order to get enough change to buy one!)

He also would have insisted we take a trip to the Grand Canyon with the entire family by now. Which, by the way, we have never done.
Rich sometimes walks into a room and I have seen both his mom and his aunt burst into tears because he looks like his dad. I see some similarities, but I like to think my hubby is better looking. ;)

Either way they do look a lot alike. I am not sure if it is the nice shiny forehead, the goofy poses, or the smile? Or a combo or all three?
And here is a classic picture of Rich's dad, siblings, and grandma in Hawaii. Can you tell which one is Rich?

I know that someday I will be able to meet Rich's dad but I am thankful for him and for the wonderful son the he raised. He raised him to have respect for women, take responsibility, work hard, finish what you start, and to laugh in everything you do.

Rich's dad was funny, often inappropriately so ("Donner. party of 5?") and while I have tried to curb that crazy side of Rich, I know I never will be able to. He loves his father and I know that Rich is an amazing father as well. He had a good example to follow and I am so thankful that he also has my dad to be a good example to him.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Mom says "That was very sweet and you made me cry"