Wednesday, February 3, 2010

These 6 Days


Friday (my birthday) was the day Cara got sick. Friday was also the day I was determined to increase my milk supply (too much information? sorry). I would like to breastfeed Cara at least until her 1st birthday but with my busy schedule and being gone so often it has been hard to keep up a good supply.
.
So Friday I embraced my hippie midwife state and got some herbs and made me some tea.

If you look closely you can see the ingredients- and if you have any idea about bulk teas- or if you don't- this is probably the most disgusting tasting tea out there.

I boiled and simmered and strained these herbs- and made a mess in the kitchen- twice- in order to drink at least 3 cups a day. Honey and 7up help, but I gulp it down in the hopes that I can keep this little one smiling.
.
3 glasses a day for 6 days= 18 cups
But even if I don't have a good supply I know she loves me. Even when I snap a picture of her digging through the trash and then promptly take the trash can away.
.
If you come to my house you will notice all trash cans are on tables or counters. Next to gross tea.
.
Bottoms up!

8 comments:

Devyn Pickett said...

aw- she is so precious and yuccky tea hehe

Ash said...

Happy Late Birthday! Good luck with the tea! Sounds terrible. You should get some kind of good mom badge for that. :)

Kelly said...

To increase my supply I nursed and then I would pump a hour later, then I would nurse, and pump a hour later......it was hard at first, like I was feeding twins...but I was able to freeze all the pumped milk so that the babies didn't have to have formula while I was at work. Good luck!!!

Erin and Zach said...

that picture is priceless. she is so so so so adorable. i love her! and good luck milking yourself ;)
I hope your hippie stuff works out okay. i can officially pass on the hippie title to you, dear sister. enjoy!

Cathy said...

Dont let Erin get away with passing that title--now we have two hippies instead of just one!! And you are doing an awesome job as a mommy! And everything else i might add! I love you punkin!

Ron, Ashley, Ethan and Addison said...

she is sooooooo sooooooo stinking cute... addie and cara get to hang out this month!!!

Angie said...

Mmm sounds fun. Happy birthday btw, sorry you have a sick baby for your birthday.

Margaret and Murray Pratt said...

Happy belated birthday!!! Good luck with the tea, I hope it works!